Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Power of Hunger (anecdote)

I experienced a revelation this morning because I woke up hungry i.e. low blood sugar. The world was slow. Thinking was tough; it didn’t occur to me that I needed to eat. The situation was reminiscent of waking depressed. 45 minutes lying. With concerted effort, I pushed my body away from the bed, but only succeeded in draping my legs to the floor. Slumped prostrate. 5 more minutes. An eerie question in my conscience began to resonate, “What is happening?” In what felt like moving through vaseline, I carefully slowly drove to CVS. A pharmacist informed me that my blood pressure was low. Pre-shelled pistachios and Gatorade are delicious lifesavers.


What was the revelation?


My body’s caloric deficiency resulted from a very active lifestyle and not consuming enough to keep up with it (I had an amazing weekend, and should have eaten additional meals). This was a rare hunger of wealth, it wasn't terrible, but the memory opened my eyes. If you can’t imagine the thought process of impoverished people, then its likely you haven’t been hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment